There are more adult braces options available now than ever before. Adults can now effectively (and discreetly) straighten their smile in a relatively short amount of time. In this review, we discuss the options that patients have for achieving their ideal smile through braces treatment.The most popular types of adult braces options are metal braces,…
What to Consider with Ceramic Braces for Teeth straightening
Ceramic braces are a subtler version of traditional metal braces. Both appliances work by applying a constant force on the patient’s teeth, slowly improving their alignment. Metal braces are made up of metal brackets that are cemented to each of the patient’s teeth and wires that connect the brackets. Tightening these wires increases the force placed on the patient’s teeth.
Ceramic braces also use brackets and wires to improve the alignment of the patient’s teeth, but the metal parts are switched out with more aesthetically pleasing ones. Instead of metallic parts, the patient gets tooth-colored or transparent brackets and wires. This makes ceramic braces less noticeable when worn.
That is a massive deal since some people avoid getting teeth straightening treatments to avoid dealing with a mouthful of metal wires and brackets. Their concerns are understandable since metal braces look like miniature rail tracks on a person’s teeth.
Important things to go over when considering ceramic braces
Ceramic braces work the same way traditional metal braces straighten teeth, so they can be used to fix similar issues. However, the metal components of traditional braces are more durable than the tooth-colored components of ceramic braces, so the former is less likely to become damaged over the course of the patient’s treatment. Dentists often recommend metal braces for severe bite issues that might require braces for up to three years.
Some of the benefits of choosing ceramic braces over traditional ones include:
- Less painful experience: The tooth-colored components of ceramic braces are gentler on soft tissues in the mouth like the cheeks and gums. That leads to less discomfort and pain during treatment
- Hard to notice: Ceramic braces allow patients to straighten their teeth without announcing it to the world. The brackets and wires of the appliance are barely noticeable, so the wearer does not have to explain why they have some contraption in their mouth every time their teeth are revealed
- Durable enough: Ceramic braces might not be as durable as metal braces, but they are sturdy enough to address most bite issues
- Cost-effective: Ceramic braces cost a little more than metal braces, but they are typically more affordable than other discreet ways to improve teeth alignment like the use of clear aligner trays
Some of the drawbacks that come with ceramic braces include:
- Larger brackets: Ceramic braces come with larger brackets than those that come with traditional braces. However, these brackets being tooth-colored makes them less noticeable than smaller metal brackets
- Can lead to staining: As is the case with metal braces, ceramic braces cover up parts of the patient’s teeth, making it harder to clean them. The color from the rubber bands used to hold the appliance in place can also stain teeth
- Not as durable as metal braces: Ceramic braces are not designed to handle as much stress as metal braces. Patients who need extensive teeth straightening might have to deal with metal braces
We can straighten your smile
Want straighter teeth? Call or visit our Dubuque clinic to learn more about popular teeth straightening options.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
A palatal expander is an oral appliance that is used to widen the upper jaw. Also known as a palate expander, these appliances fit in the roof of your mouth and gradually move the two halves of your jawbone apart by applying constant pressure on the area.Some of the issues a dentist might recommend a…
Teeth straightening treatment does more than just enhance your smile. It can also improve oral health and oral hygiene! When the teeth are crooked or crowded, there are small areas that can be hard to reach. These areas can make it very difficult for one to properly brush their teeth. Improperly brushed teeth can lead…
There are now more options than ever for teenagers to reliably and quickly straighten their teeth. Whether you simply want the best results or strongly desire a more discreet treatment, there is an option for you.Here, we discuss the various types of braces for teens, highlighting the differences between each and when one may be…